Thursday, September 11, 2008

Celebrating 9/11 with a Transit Fender-bender.

I think I’ve mentioned on this blog that working in a tall building in downtown LA on 9/11 is - at the very least - a bit creepy.

(3:01 p.m. “Live Blogging” - That was fun. My train almost hit a car while passing under the 10 freeway between Pico and Grand stations. Now we’re waiting. At least we’re in the shade. I need an iPhone or something so this could be live. Donations accepted.)

But this year, no one at work mentioned it. I avoided reading about it. I was slightly miffed as I left work of the two sets of flags a half mass in our plaza. Not that I don’t honor the memory of the people that lost their lives, but it was just a sigh-inducing moment. Some of us are trying to move on.

(3:10 p.m. - Okay, we did hit that car. But the driver said it’s going to be clear soon. We’ll see. I didn’t feel it, really. Per usual. I’m in the back of the train...)

Maybe it’s the way the Repubs have hijacked (pun intended) 9/11 as their personal emotional scar. Maybe it’s the fact that it’s been 7 years and we still can’t seem to catch a 6-foot-5, Arab billionaire on dialysis. Maybe it’s because it’s a reminder (as if anyone needed one) that John McCain wants to continue the legacy of Bush and Co.

(3:16 - Another train just went around us. This is officially sucking. Why do I bother trying to go home even a little early?)

This is kind of turning into a weird post. Sorry about that. Anyway, it seems that the visceral impact of 9/11 is lessening over time. I’m really noticing it this year. That’s all I’m saying. I’m getting a bit distracted here.

(3:21 - Still sitting. Folks are getting a bit restless. We are apparently waiting for a “supervisor” to come to the scene and clear us to proceed. I suppose no is not the time to let metro know that an elevated or buried train would have been pretty damn helpful.)

(3:28 - We’re moving again! Huzzah! Half hour. I suppose that’s not too bad.)

Uh... 9/11 and stuff. Oh, well. It was a good distraction anyway.

(4:53 p.m. - Got home. That sucked: the bus was late too. So all told, a nearly 2-hour one-way commute. Not the best way to spend time.)

No comments: