Friday, September 19, 2008

This is getting ridiculous. Trains in LA are just not safe lately.

I don’t suppose that I’m going to get away without blogging about this. Be warned: this is epic.

One week after the horrific MetroLink crash and a week and a day after this fender-bender, the Blue Line injures thirteen, but fortunately none seriously.

So my morning went like this:

When I got on the train, the accident had already happened, though Metro had not bothered to announce it yet. About halfway through my commute, the driver says, and I quote:

There’s been an accident at Washington & Griffith: Train vs. Bus.

This is an amazing quote for a couple of reasons. One, it sounds like he’s referring to a new version of WWE Smackdown or a new Fox Special or something. Really it almost sounds as if our driver considered the crash situation thusly:

The driver of the Train caught the eye of the driver of the Bus, and they gave each other a squintily apprasing look. Then one of them gave the secret hand signal for “It’s on like Godzilla vs. Mothra” and the other one replied in kind. And then they commenced crashing to see who would rule South Central LA.
(N.B. - the train wins every time. Every time. This is an immutable truth.) All I’m saying that it was a weird phraseology choice our driver made.

The other reason the announcement was amazing was that it caused everyone on the Blue Line to simultaneously whip out their cell phones to call work or home. (I must say that I did it too and thus spared my wife from having to go through the subsequent ordeal.)

We arrived at Washington station. This is where all the trains were turning back south instead of going on to downtown. I can see my building from here (it’s very tall), though I’d never felt quite so far away. We had to get off, but there was a train on the other side that said “Los Angeles”. Well yippee-doo! Maybe this won’t be so bad... We can just change trains and move on. But then the driver had this weird phraseologic choice:

There is a train going on to downtown Los Angeles, and I’m going to try and get you to it.

What?, I’m thinking at this point, just make it wait, idiot! Use the radio! Don’t leave it to chance!

For a minute, I thought he might have done it. But just as our train came to a stop, the other train’s doors closed. We got off. I thought maybe that they’d see their error and open that train up and let us on. Nope. It left for downtown.

And it was almost completely empty.

Stay with me now. There’s 4-500 people on the platform at Washington Station, 96% of whom are going to downtown. I can only ask: why? Why did they not hold it for the five minutes that it would have taken to make the transfer? It was mayhem on the platform. I laughed really loud. Others had a different reaction judging by the number of shouts of ‘hell no’ and ‘this is bullshit’.

I stayed calm, and while others pushed and shoved their way to the bus bridge, I waited. Another train arrived a few minute later, full of people. It’s marked Los Angeles! Yay! I was right. So we all get on, and Metro employees and fare inspectors have a grand time cramming us all on like sardines, while the driver said - in all seriousness - things like “Please make room!” and “There’s only a few short stops to go!” and my favorite: “Get to know your neighbor!”

We stood on the train for about 10 minutes before they let us know that they couldn’t go north because of the work that was being done to crashed train.

We get off. I wade through the crowd of cursing commuters and eventually make it out to the street where the Metro sheriffs and others were helping to form a line to wait for the bus bridge. This line turned out to be the Gitmo (pardon the tacky reference) of Disneyland lines, featuring a disgruntled female sheriff shouting at us to “hug the fence” and a large deposit of fecal matter (human or canine? hard to know) covered by a newspaper. I had the bum fortune to get stuck standing near this steaming pile while we waited.

I was the last one on my shuttle bus, which gave me a chance to chat with the driver. I found out a lot of the stuff that was in the LA Times article I linked to above. The guy was in a really good mood. More on that in a minute.

The bus ride was pretty quick. More police were directing traffic away from the scene of the accident. We got to drive right by it, so I saw the giant dent in the bus in person, as well as the contraption that they were using to re-rail the train. I was really relieved to hear at that point from the bus driver that no one was on the bus at the time of the accident.

We went two stops and had to get off and then back on the train. Didn't have to wait long at all. This driver was working this bus-bridge-like train ride all by herself. Like the shuttle-bus driver, she was in a happy mood too: “Everyone going to downtown? Good!” Two more stops and I had arrived. I got to work at 8:30, 1 hour late. All told, that's not bad, but I had pretty much spent my energy for the day right there.

Overall, I’m pretty impressed at the way Metro handled this. I give them a hard time here sometimes, but things went pretty smoothly considering the relative severity of the crash. Other people I’m sure would disagree. The Metro people were pleasant - except for the ‘hug-the-fence’ lady - clearly enjoying themselves. I don’t think they were showing disrespect. I think they were happy to have something to do that was out of the ordinary. Let’s face it: transit driving - bus or train - involves a lot of repetition. They got to do some thing different for a change.

As for the ride home? Nothing to report. And I prefer it that way.

No comments: