Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The end of the line.

Last night, I took my last Blue Line ride as a regular commuter to and from Downtown LA. It was quiet, uneventful and only just longer than average.

Still, it was a strange trip. I left work - for the last time ever - a bit later than usual. It was dark and the rain that was supposed to arrive earlier in the day was still holding off, though I could smell it coming. I took a moment to soak in the lights of downtown: the secret code of thehigh-rise windows, the swirling spotlights calling the Lakers faithful over to Staples Center, the reflection of all this off of the gathering clouds. I disappeared into the underground station.

The platform was busier than typical, but not crowded. I looked around at the faces of some folks and saw everything you can see: smiles, fatigue, concern, irritation. I wonder what I looked like? Can you see "laid-off" in someone's face? I don't know, but I felt separate. I no longer have a job to scurry to, to fret about, to ground me. I saw a colleague on the other side of the tracks, running for the Red Line. I thought about yelling out to her, but I didn't. I'd said my goodbyes.

When I got on the train - backpack, bags and as yet unnecessary umbrella settled - the first thing that happened never happens to me on transit: I got sucked into some smalltalk. A guy dressed in the standard-issue navy blazer, pants and tie of a building security person eventually asked me what I "did for work". That gave me practice in talking about my job in the past tense. He got off two stops later, thankfully.

It was full night outside and as I looked out the window, it was easier to see the reflection of the inside of the train car than anything outside. I didn't get to see my last regular glimpse of the warehouse district or south central. I could see streetlamps poking holes in the darkness and neon signs for junior markets. A smile hit my face every time I saw a house with Christmas light up already.

I talked to my wife about my day while riding the last bit through Long Beach, but ended the call so I could juggle all my stuff. I got off. Still, no rain.

The bus arrived, I rode, I arrived. Dinner was cooked, a bit of wine consumed. Addie and I celebrated what's coming next.

I can't wait.

Thanks, everyone for reading my Tales from the Blue Line!

Look for a new blog in the near future.

1 comment:

Light Traveler said...

We miss you! Let me know when you start a new blog!!!